Chandelier never fails to make interiors classical and charming. However, most people often question its maintenance because this decorative item is delicate and is placed on high ceilings. Especially when you want to change its bulbs, it seems very difficult. Yes, you have to take care of yourself as well as protect the accessories of your chandelier. If you are looking for a way to do it safely, today’s discussion will be helpful to you. We have clearly explained how to change chandelier light bulbs in high ceilings in this article.
Why Do I Need to Change Chandelier Light Bulbs?
Your interior sparkles with the chandelier since it spreads bright lighting from the high ceiling. But these situations might be causes to do a replacement of bulbs.
- When the filament inside the bulb is damaged or worn out, it is unable to flash further. So, you have to replace a new one. If a bulb at the edges of the chandelier is broken or damaged like that, it is prominent more than the bulbs inwards the chandelier.
- The bulbs are placed inside a glass structure in chandeliers. And the outer glass of the bulb can be broken due to various reasons.
- Sometimes, you might need to install LED bulbs in your chandelier since they consume less power than traditional ones. Similarly, if you wish to set smart light bulbs which can be operated by smartphones, you have to change all the old bulbs.
- Light bulb flickering is another reason to go for a replacement. Those are even uncomfortable for the eyes.
- When the bulbs have come to the end of their lives, it would be better to replace them. Usually, their lifespan is one to two thousand hours. The bulbs might work further even after those number of hours. But over time, there may be sudden flickering or burnouts.
How to Prepare Before Changing the Light Bulbs in High Ceilings?
If you hope to reach the chandelier using a ladder, precaution is vital. The reason why, you are going to work while your foot is on the ladder. First and foremost, pick the correct ladder which is not higher or shorter than the chandelier.
Then you do not have to adjust your neck unnecessarily, and your hands can work freely since you are parallel to the chandelier. Probably, the ladder should be taller than the standard height of a ladder.
Ensure to clean and clear the area in which you are going to place the ladder; avoid any slippery things on the floor.
The ladder should be stable and firm. It would be better if someone could hold it as well. Check whether all the steps of the ladder are strong before you place your foot.
And make sure to wear comfortable and non-slippery shoes or boots before you climb the ladder.
Moreover, wear protective gloves, so your hands will be safe from sudden accidents. It would be better to even wear goggles to protect your eyes because there may be dust and debris on the chandelier.
Remember to attach a strong bag to your waistline or hang a bucket on a ladder to collect the bulbs.
Lastly, turn off the main power supply before you start the job. It is a must to ensure your safety.
How to Change Chandelier Light Bulbs in High Ceilings?
Mainly, there are two methods to remove the old bulb and replace the new one. Traditionally, you can use a ladder. Or else bulb grabbers are available, which help to pick up the bulbs in high ceilings. The below procedure is the traditioned method of using the ladder.
- Choose a strong ladder that facilitates achieving the same height as the chandelier.
- After you climb to the top of the ladder, you can start to remove the bulbs. The structure of bulbs may vary from one to one. Most of the time, you need to gently detach the outer glass of the bulb first.
- Now you can remove the bulb. The bulb should be rotated clockwise in case it faces upward. If it faces downwards, rotate it counterclockwise.
- After removing the bulb, use a microfiber towel to wipe all the dirt in the chamber of the bulb before installing new bulbs.
- Now take the new bulb and set it properly. You should rotate the new one in the opposing direction of the removal. Set the outer glass as it was.
- Eventually, turn the power on to check whether the bulb flashes without an issue.
Refer to the below paragraphs to learn how to use the bulb grabber for this task.
Can I Use a Bulb Grabber to Change Chandelier Light Bulbs?
If you are not comfortable at the top of a ladder, you can use a bulb grabber to pick the chandelier light bulbs.
This method is easier than the ladder method because you do not need to place a ladder inside your house, so you can do the replacement without someone’s help. And there is no need for gloves and other extra stuff for protection.
However, there are some drawbacks of bulb grabbers as well. There is no chance to clean the chamber of bulbs when you use a bulb grabber. And if you do not handle it carefully, the bulb might fall from the grabber and crumble. And some types of grabbers do not facilitate the removal of upward-facing bulbs, so check the features of the grabber when purchasing.
How to Change Chandelier Light Bulbs Using a Bulb Grabber?
- Turn the power off.
- Set the bulb grabber and the extension pole together as the grabber can close to the ceiling.
- When it reaches the bulb, try to put your bulb grabber on the faulty bulb carefully. When it grabs the bulb, you should rotate it gently. After the bulb is removed, take down the grabber slowly.
- Then you can set the new bulb on the bulb grabber. Here, you might have to refer to the user manual to know how to do it.
- Move the grabber up and keep the new bulb in the empty socket. It should be rotated to screw well.
- Pull the release string when you finish rotating.
- Turn the power on to check whether the bulb can flash.
1. How do you change a lightbulb in a high chandelier?
To change a lightbulb in a high chandelier, follow these steps:
- Turn off the power to the chandelier at the circuit breaker or by switching it off.
- Place a sturdy ladder or scaffolding beneath the chandelier, ensuring it’s on a stable surface.
- Climb up to the level where you can reach the chandelier safely.
- Carefully unscrew the burnt-out bulb by turning it counterclockwise.
- Replace the old bulb with a new one of the same type and wattage, screwing it in clockwise.
- Turn the power back on to check if the new bulb works, and you’re done!
2. How to change a light bulb in a high ceiling?
Changing a light bulb in a high ceiling can be challenging, but here’s how you can do it:
- Turn off the power to the light fixture from the circuit breaker or switch.
- Obtain a sturdy ladder or an extension pole with a bulb changer attachment.
- Position the ladder or extension pole beneath the light fixture.
- Use the bulb changer to unscrew the old bulb counterclockwise.
- Replace it with a new bulb of the same type and wattage by screwing it in clockwise.
- Turn the power back on, and check if the new bulb is working.
3. How do you turn a flush mount into a chandelier?
To turn a flush mount light into a chandelier, you can follow these steps:
- Remove the existing flush mount light fixture from the ceiling by unscrewing it.
- Purchase a chandelier kit or a chandelier that you like.
- Install a ceiling medallion if desired, which can enhance the chandelier’s appearance.
- Attach a chandelier mounting bracket to the electrical box in the ceiling.
- Assemble and hang the chandelier according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Connect the chandelier’s wiring to the electrical wires in the ceiling, following the wiring diagram provided.
- Attach any additional decorative elements like shades or crystals.
- Turn on the power, and your flush mount is now a chandelier!
4. How do you change hard to reach light bulbs?
Changing hard-to-reach light bulbs can be done using an extension pole with a bulb changer attachment. Here’s how:
- Turn off the power to the light fixture.
- Attach the bulb changer to the extension pole.
- Extend the pole to reach the bulb.
- Carefully grip and unscrew the old bulb counterclockwise.
- Replace it with a new bulb by screwing it in clockwise.
- Ensure the new bulb is securely in place.
- Turn the power back on and check if the new bulb is working.
5. How do you soften a light bulb?
Softening a light bulb’s brightness can be achieved by using a lower-wattage bulb or installing a dimmer switch. Here’s how:
- Lower-wattage bulb: Replace the current bulb with one that has a lower wattage rating. This will produce less intense light.
- Dimmer switch: Install a dimmer switch in place of the standard light switch. This allows you to adjust the light’s brightness to your preference by turning the knob or using a remote control.
6. How do you soften overhead lights?
To soften overhead lights, you can use diffusers, lampshades, or dimmer switches:
- Diffusers: Attach a diffuser, which is a translucent cover, to the overhead light fixture. It spreads and diffuses the light, reducing harshness.
- Lampshades: Add lampshades to individual bulbs or fixtures to soften the light’s glare and create a warm ambiance.
- Dimmer switches: Install dimmer switches for overhead lights, allowing you to adjust the brightness to your liking and create a softer atmosphere.
Keep Reading: Similar Content You May Enjoy